Saturday 17 December 2016

Grill Master Buttermilk Wings

Well friends, you know my achillies heel is "wings". Crispy, crooked, sweet, salty, flavourful wings!!

In recent months, I've had to go easy on the spice levels, probably because my stomach has gone on strike from processing the volume of Franks Hot Sauce I used to consume, so I've had to get my kicks in other ways. But luckily it was not just the lip smacking, vinegary spice I loved of the hot sauce, it was the crunch of crisp wingy skin. (Apologies Vegans and Veggies, you probably wana get off at the next stop). Texture is more than half the battle when it comes to the perfect wing - who wants soft, wobbly, pale skin? I have enough of that on my person, I don't need it mirrored in my food.

So in an eternal quest to take my wing game to the next level, I believed Buttermilk and my new range of spice blends held the golden ticket, and I wasn't wrong.  To get good bark on your next set of bird bones, follow these simple steps: 
 
 

Rub your wings in My Secret Kitchen's Grill Master - which you can buy here - along with a good sprinkling of granulated garlic, smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper.  Once all the dry ingredients are in the pool, cover with buttermilk and a good glug of Hot Sauce. Allow this mixture to work it's magic for at least 8 hours - ideally overnight. 
When you are ready to deep fry, heat your oil - safely - to around 190 degrees. To get this crust extra crispy you are going to bake these as well as fry so have your tray at the ready and oven preheated to 220. 

Whilst these are heating, remove your wings from the buttermilk bath, shake of the excess and dip into seasoned flour. (Again, I added Grill Master to mine, but salt and pepper would do the job here too, or even one of the other My Secret Kitchen speciality salts).

Test your oil by dropping a tiny left over bit of batter into the pan, if it browns up nicely it's ready. Gently ease your wings into the oil and avoid moving them around whilst they take colour (around 3-4 mins each side).

Transfer to the baking sheet and cook for a further 12-18 mins until cooked and browned further. 

These wings are abosultely delicious on their own thanks to their smoky American BBQ flavour but in my opinion everything can be enhanced with a little more Franks- I shook on just a little more after baking for good measure :)

Crispy and crunchy, yet the meat within was still moist (sorry, I know people get the creeps when that is said, but no better word for it). If you want to up your Wing Game I certainly recommend Buttermilk and my new mate- the Grill Master Meat Rub. Colonel Sanders, you can take your seat now, Sir. x

No comments:

Post a Comment